Buckwheat is a wonderful ingredient to add to your kitchen cupboard, it can be served as an alternat...
Amaranth is a nutritional powerhouse, it is protein-rich, high in fiber and naturally gluten free. A...
Steel-cut oats take a little longer to cook than rolled oats (unless they are soaked overnight). The...
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Healthy and tasty muffins that provide a great low fat breakfast or snack.
1 cup of organic whole wheat flour
1 cup of organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of chocolate chips
3 mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease or place liners in a muffin pan.
- Place the ripe peeled bananas in a mixer and blend on low speed for 3-5 minutes until well mashed.
- Add the oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla and mix again on low speed for 1 minute until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, b.powder, b.soda, salt, and chocolate chips)
- Add the banana mixture to the dry mixture and combine until just blended (make sure you don't over mix the ingredients)
- Fill each muffin up about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a cooling rack and allow them to sit for 10-15 minutes before attempting to remove the wrapper. Makes 12 medium muffins.