Amaranth is a nutritional powerhouse, it is protein-rich, high in fiber and naturally gluten free. A...
Steel-cut oats take a little longer to cook than rolled oats (unless they are soaked overnight). The...
Rolled oats are oat groats that have been partially cooked (steamed) then flattened with a roller. O...
Roast Pumpkin, Orange and Quinoa Salad
A recipe inspired by Autumn, this salad celebrates warm, sweet flavours and beautiful colours. Perfect to have for dinner or to take for lunch the next day!
- 1 cup Flannerys Own Quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 oranges
- 1 kg of pumpkin, diced into 1cm cubes
- 5 shallot bulbs, quartered
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups rocket or baby spinach
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the quinoa, vegetable stock and the juice of 1 orange in a pot and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer keeping the lid on for 10-15 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Take the mixture off the heat and set aside.
- Cut the remaining orange into wedges.
- Place a large oven tray drizzled with olive oil into the heated oven to warm the oil. Remove from the oven when oil is warmed.
- Carefully place the pumpkin pieces, shallot bulbs and orange wedges into the oven tray; toss well to coat with oil.
- Return to the oven and cook for 25 - 30 minutes the pumpkin is tender, tossing after 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Dry roast the walnuts in a hot pan for 2-3 minutes until golden; remove and set aside.
- Next, add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat; allow the vinegar to simmer; whisk for 4-5 minutes until reduced by half and vinegar is syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; dress with balsamic reduction to taste (2-3 tablespoons) and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a warm bowl on a bed of extra rocket or spinach drizzled with a little more balsamic reduction.