Amaranth is a nutritional powerhouse, it is protein-rich, high in fiber and naturally gluten free. A...
Steel-cut oats take a little longer to cook than rolled oats (unless they are soaked overnight). The...
Rolled oats are oat groats that have been partially cooked (steamed) then flattened with a roller. O...
Christmas Gingerbread Cookies
No other cookie says Christmas like Gingerbread cookies! A timeless Christmas treat.
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup unsulphured molasses
5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ ground cloves
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp water
225 g powder sugar
1 egg white
1 tbsp water or lemon juice
- Mix softened butter and sugar till creamy. Add eggs, molasses and water and mix well. Mix the dry ingredients together then blend into butter mixture.
- Wrap dough in two portions with cling wrap and chill for two hours or if you don't have the time, freeze for 40 minutes.
- Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface and cut out shapes using your favourite Christmas cookie cutters.
- Place cookies an inch apart on baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes on 175 degrees.
- Cool completely before decorating with royal icing.
- Royal Icing
Mix the ingredients to a smooth paste, the water or juice may not be needed, if the mixture feels pipe-able enough without it.
You can dye the icing with food coloring, if you fancy different colors than pure white.