Treatment is therefore a trial and error process: you try a suggestion and see whether it works for you, and if it doesn't you try something else.
Also, you should always remember that these are natural remedies, and this article does not dispense qualified medical advice. If your symptoms persist or even worsen, we strongly recommend that you consult your physician.
1. Drink a glass of milk. Even though opinions differ on whether it should be whole or skim milk, this is an accepted and often recommended measure for immediate relief for heartburn and acid reflux.
2. Drink water. The water will dilute the stomach acid and wash down anything that might be planning on defying gravity, so a big glass or two of water after your meal might do the trick.
3. Chew almonds. A few almonds, taken in the morning and/or after meals, chewed very well, have been hailed as the new miracle treatment for acid reflux by some people.
4. Chamomile or fennel tea. The soothing effects of chamomile or fennel tea are also known to provide acid reflux relief. The tea should best be sipped, not gulped, and should be of a moderate temperature, not too hot or cold.
5. Eat an apple. Eating an apple after a meal has also been found to alleviate acid reflux. Choose organic apples and chew well.
6. Candied ginger. Chew a piece when you're feeling the acid reflux kick in. You can also put a piece of candied ginger in your tea and let it sit for a bit before drinking it if you don't like eating candied ginger.
7. Apple cider vinegar. Swallow two to three table spoons undiluted for an acute attack, or dissolve the same amount in warm water to drink to prevent acid reflux from recurring.
8. Papaya enzyme. Available in the form of papaya enzyme pills, this enzyme has helped end acid reflux symptoms for some people.
9. Aloe. Despite its consistency which takes some getting used to, aloe juice is also a favourite reflux remedy.
10. Chew gum. After your meals, chew sugarless gum for 30 minutes. This stimulates saliva production which in turn like water that you drink dilutes the contents of your stomach and helps wash down anything from your esophagus into your stomach.