The skin (integumentary system) is an organ of elimination. The health of the skin is determined by many factors, some of these are liver health, diet and nutrition, stress, cleansing and hygiene, bowel elimination, kidney waste removal, digestive function and enzymes, bowel bacteria, immunity and hormonal balance. When skin health is compromised by any of these factors effective treatment may often take time. The problem needs to be solved from the inside to the outside, improving the health of the above areas will result in vital and glowing skin. Often it is difficult to see immediate results in regards to improving the quality of the skin, however improving your diet, lifestyle and taking beneficial supplements will go along way to addressing dull skin. Be patient and continue for a couple of months, you will find that slowly your skins quality will slowly improve.
Dull skin colour is generally an indication of the health of the body systems and are particularly linked to the health of the bowels. The more waste matter we are able to pass out of the body via the bowels enables a more effective blood and liver detoxification processes. Sluggish bowel movement may be a cause of the skin impurity because the organs of detoxification (bowels, liver and kidneys) will be struggling to remove wastes from the body and any excess wastes are sent to the skin, which is the next organ of elimination in line. To improve skin health it takes time as first you need to work through the liver, bowels, kidneys, blood and then onto the skin to improve its quality.
The liver is always an underlying causative factor for the health of the skin due to its role of detoxifying and metabolising wastes from the body. Clean blood means that the skin receives more levels of oxygen, nutrients and antioxidants for its healthy glow.
The mineral Silica helps to strengthen the integrity of the skin, collagen and elastin while providing nourishing effects. Increasing Silica rich foods in your diet is a good start and these foods include green leafy vegetables, celery, cucumbers, oats and onions. Alternatively you may take a colloidal Silica supplement such as the QSilica capsules or gel, you may take this supplement internally and also use it directly on the face as a mask. The skin care brand Evohe also make a Silica mask which is regenerating to the skin to improve the appearance and quality.
In regards to remedies to help the skin to have a natural glow the following are some tips:
• The most important nutrients for the skin are Silica, Zinc, Biotin, B Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and antioxidants. The brand Thompsons make a supplement which contains many of these nutrients specifically for feeding the skin, it is called Thompsons Skin, hair and nails. If taken for at least a couple of months your skin should become more radiant and healthy.
• Ensure proper hydration as the skin requires water to keep it supple, nourished and hydrated.
• Consider taking a supplement to cleanse the blood and improve liver detoxification, herbs such as St Marys Thistle, Dandelion, Rehmannia, Burdock and Bupleurum are great herbal remedies for the health of the skin and liver. The Fusion Health Liver Tonic is a supplement which a blood conditioner and liver cleanser.
• Begin each day with a glass of warm water with ½ a lemon squeezed in it, this will provide antioxidants while cleansing the bowels and stimulating digestive and liver function for the day
• Reduce foods which may decrease the vitality of the skin are saturated fats, deep fried and fatty foods, sugar and caffeine
• Increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables you consume to ensure adequate nutrition, antioxidants and they also help the liver to detoxify. Make a nutrient packed vegetable juice each day to promote liver function, cleansing, excretion of wastes via the kidneys and more antioxidants.
• Ensure that you are consuming adequate amounts of protein in your diet as proteins contain the building blocks to create healthy skin and repair of problem areas. Protein rich foods are red meat, fish, nuts, tofu, eggs, dairy foods and organic chicken.
• Take a supplement which contains essential fatty acids such as fish oil or flaxseed oil to provide moisturising, anti-inflammatory effects to the health of the skin and circulation which feeds the skin.
• Improve bowel elimination if constipation or sluggish bowels are a problem for you.
• Manage stress and get quality rest and sleep and small amounts of gentle sunshine each day.
The information presented on this page has been prepared by a fully qualified naturopath and is for educational purposes only. It does not take into consideration your specific circumstances and is not intended to replace the services of a health practitioner. Any application of the material in this text is at the reader’s discretion and sole responsibility. If you have a persistent health condition or your symptoms are severe please consult a qualified healthcare provider.